You should have a good system for written requests for repairs or maintenance. You can create such a system easily, and FREE, using Google Docs. It solves the following problems:
- Receiving info by text or phone call and then having to write it down.
- Making mistakes when you write down the request.
- A tenant CLAIMING you made a mistake and they asked for two things, but all you wrote down was one thing.
- A tenant claiming you failed to respond to a repair request, but they never actually contacted you.
- You having to call or write a repair person and relay the problem and instructions to them.
- A tenant claiming you entered their dwelling illegally (where you discovered a pet that was not allowed) because “they certainly did NOT request any repairs.” The point is, if they requested repairs, you are automatically allowed to enter, even without giving notice or getting permission.
We have a free downloadable article with step-by-step instructions for creating an online repair request system using the free Google Forms section of Google Docs. You can even provide the ability for tenants to upload photos, as part of the same form.
Once the tenant completes the form, you receive an email notification with everything they entered. The info is also retained in your Google Forms account, online. You can print a copy to keep in the tenant paper file, save it as an image to save in their electronic file, and you can forward it to any required repair persons.
Your life is easier and your fanny is covered. That’s priceless, even though the instructions are free!!!!
Click HERE for the instructions. You will go through a checkout process, but will not be asked for any credit card information.